This 1998 Grand 51 was donated by Shane McGuire of Bloomington, MN. The aircraft features a Lycoming T-53 turboprop engine. The Grand 51 is an American representation of the North American P-51 Mustang. It is a low-wing cantilever monoplane and its airframe is made from carbon fiber epoxy. The Grand-51 also has a Mustang-style fuselage air scoop that is a dummy and acts as a baggage compartment.
Developed by Dr. Kurt Tank and his design team at Focke Wulf, the FW190 became the Luftwaffe’s premier piston fighter of World War II. The first production series of the FW190A entered service in July 1941. It was faster and more maneuverable in air-to-air combat against the British Spitfire. The armament of the aircraft was changed to 2-7.9mm machine guns and 4-20mm cannon, all wing mounted. A total of 13,367 FW190 fighters were built, and an additional 6,634 fighter bombers were supplied to the Luftwaffe between 1941 and 1945.
The Bell UH-1 Iroquois is one of the most successful helicopters in history, with over 16,000 built between 1955 and 1976. First flown in 1956 as the HU-1A (hence “Huey”), it was primarily used to transport troops, medical purposes, cargo transport, and aerial attacks. It was powered by a single 700 shp Lycoming T53-L-1 turbo shaft engine turning a large two bladed rotor.
The Iskra Jet is a Polish jet trainer aircraft used by the air forces of Poland and India. This was the first jet aircraft that was designed in Poland. Work on this aircraft started in 1957 and its first flight was in 1960. It is a mid-wing monoplane design with an all-metal construction and is powered by a single SO-3 turbojet engine. The Iskra can climb at a rate of 14.8m/s.
The Pitts Special was a series of light aerobatic biplanes designed by Curtis Pitts. Its first flight was in 1944. Even though the design of this plane has changed continuously since the original prototype, the current Pitts Special still remains very similar to the original design concept.
The Standard J-1 was designed by Charles Day, who also designed the famous Curtiss Jenny. This two seat trainer was primarily used by the U.S. Army Air Service to supplement the JN-4Jenny. The construction of this aircraft consisted of wire-braced wood with a canvas covering. It had about 100 horsepower that was driving a two blade wooden propeller. Performance topped 72 miles per hour with an endurance of three-and-a-half hours of flight time. The J-1 at the Fargo air Museum is the oldest aircraft in North Dakota, with it being 90% original.
The Flyer was based on the trial and testing of gliders at Kitty Hawk between 1900 and 1902. Their last glider, the 1902 Glider, led directly to the design of the Flyer. As with gliders, the pilot of the Flyer would lay on their stomach on the lower wing with their head towards the front of the aircraft to try to reduce the drag. They would be able to steer the aircraft by moving a cradle which was attached to their hips and the cradle would pull the wires which would warp the wings and turn the rudder simultaneously. This replica was made here at the Museum in honor the the 100th anniversary in 2003, and it rated as one of the best replicas in the country.