Called the “Mustang”, the P-51 is perhaps the best-known fighter of World War II. With its Rolls-Royce Merlin engine, the P-51 quickly became the war’s dominant fighter plane. It was though of as a “knight in shining armor” by the many bomber crews it escorted.
After the war, the P-51 remained in US service with the Strategic Air Command until 1949, and with the Air National Guard and Reserves into the 1950s. It became one of the first fighters to see combat in the Korean War. The RAF’s Fighter Command used them until 1946. In addition, over 50 air forces around the world acquired and used the Mustang for many more years, some as recently as the early 1980s. When the US Air Force realigned their aircraft designations in the 1950s, the Mustang became the F-51.
Kirk and Diane Lindberg of Inner Grove Heights, MN donated their Velocity 1994 fixed gear aircraft to the museum on December 30, 2012. Kirk, Diane and their friend Jim were met by a group of EAA and museum members as they taxied up to the museum ramp door on Sunday.
Kirk and Diane shared stories about the 3,000 hours spent building their airplane, involvement with EAA, 1995 Osh Kosh Indy award, singing with the Roseville “Rosetones” quartet and traveling around the country with their “first born.”
The museum team wishes to express our gratitude to Kirk and Diane Lindberg for this impeccable airplane donation which will represent the general aviation “home built” segment.
The Fargo Air Museum is honored to accept John Huls’ donation of a 1981 L-39 Aero Vodochody Jet Trainer. John said, “It is a nice flying machine that I bought from the Ukraine about 5 years ago, painted it and put in American instruments.” It was manufactured by Aero Vodochody in Prague, Czech Republic, for the Warsaw Pact Countries. It was one of 2800 that was produced to military standards, fully aerobatic and serves as an advanced trainer for future fighter pilots, including weapon delivery practicing, as well as for light attack tasks. The aircraft is a low-wing, tandem seating, all metal turbofan powered aircraft. Please visit the museum this summer for a special reception of John Huls’ L-39.
The Corsair was used by the Navy and Marines during World War II and the Korean War. Perhaps it is best known for its inverted gull wing. Its looks made it a star of the 1970s TV series “Baa Baa Black Sheep”.
This wonderful aircraft was restored by the late Gerald S. Beck of Wahpeton, ND.
One of a long line of civilian light planes converted to military use (like the Taylor, Piper, and Stinson “Grasshoppers” of World War II fame), the Cessna L-19 “Bird Dog” observation and Forward Air Control aircraft traced its origins to the Cessna 170, a 4-place civilian light plane, with its military power upgraded from 145 to 213 hp.
Originally known as the YO-57, the Taylorcraft L-2 came from the commercial Taylorcraft Model D, and was one of a series of light aircraft used in the observation and liaison mission during World War II
The PT-19 began production in 1940 to be used as the US Army Air Corps’ primary trainer. More than 3,700 were built before 1942, when an engine change ended the PT-19′s run. The PT 19 is owned by Bonanzaville and is on loan to the museum.
This aircraft was intended for training and personal purposes. The aircraft’s standard chrome yellow paint has come to be known as “Cub yellow” or “Lock Haven Yellow”. The first version of the cub appeared in 1930 and was called the Taylor E-2 Cub. The E-2 was meant to be an affordable aircraft that would be more accessible to people and spark their interest in aviation. The Cub quickly became one of the top sellers of the private plane market. In 1946, more than 6,000 cubs were made to meet the demand after the war. The demand for them was so high, that Cub’s were being produced in Lock Haven, PA every 20 minutes.